Writing Talk, No. 1 - Starting with Beginnings

Have you ever laminated a whale?

I haven't, but I have tried writing opening sentences, quite a few actually.

  • “Don’t die on me!”
  • Space is s---.
  • Before he died, Bravo had one thought: space tasted like cordite and blood.
  • The waves lapped at the rusting hull of the ship; serpent tongues in a sea of glass.
  • I was born in space, I’ve lived my entire life in space, and I figure I’ll die in space too. 
  • Boom.
  • Ehco Corrallo was the son of the warlord.
  • Even the reactors stopped eventually. 
  • The traffic is humming and swirling.
  •  I let go of the tether and begin to drift into the silence; the darkness; the black; the endless, hopeless, gorgeous void.
  • In another time and another place a Warlord’s son walked with ghosts.
  • Stryker stepped through the doorway, his armor brushed the walls.
  • The ocean churned and rushed, and the world ended.
  • Seia looked into his eyes and she saw blood there.
  • There was a war.
Though I usually use a more compact format because I like the punch of shorter sentences, I've also experimented with more sprawled, and more inclusive, openings. 
  • This is a story about many things; it’s about bravery, friendship, love, confusion, loss, terror, tragedy, challenge, sinking, rising, fighting, falling; a story about the son of the warlord, a story about the foreseer’s daughter, the story of a country, it’s the story of a year, a story about a beginning, and a story about the end. 
  • The moon rose over Corrallada; the moon rose over a place torn by a war, a land as harsh as it was beautiful; the moon rose over the city where Ehco had been born, and had trained to be a warrior; It hovered over the mountain where the Warlord fell and let Corrallada slip into ruin.
It's really whatever you want it to be; your opening sentence is important, but no more than your second or third; you can put everything in the first sentence, make it a hundred words long if you want, or you could use action or humor or just the slightest description in a short sentence, and use the next few paragraphs to fill in the questions that your opening sentence raises. Or go with something in between; whatever you choose to do is right, as long as it's right for you and your story. 




Comments