Random Thought, No. 1

I don't like to like games. There's a cynicism that's found itself into playing video games (something I thought was supposed to be fun) that makes everyone who plays 'seriously' to question every detail of an otherwise enjoyable experience. Perhaps it's the culture that surrounds games, perhaps it's the games themselves; they make me a connoisseur.
Suddenly, instead of having fun, I'm criticizing the textures of x-weapon or the stat balance of y-character or measures x through z of the music. I might complain about the developers, or the writers, or the players. Suddenly, I'm willing and able to blame anything and everything for anything and everything. If I die, it's clearly bad level design; if I don't get kills, the weapon I'm using doesn't work properly; if I'm killed it's not only a player's fault ("Why do people play snipers?") but also the developer's ("Why didn't they make sniper rifles harder to use/weaker/shorter range?")
I like complaining, but not about something I like to do. I've never complained about the rules of baseball or the english language; baseball wouldn't be the way it is without the rules it has, neither would english. I wouldn't trade those rules for anything, even when they've been frustrating me or confusing me. Then I'm playing video games, and there's nothing I wouldn't trade b-loadout or t-gamemode for; I love to complain about games; I hate complaining about games.
See, as dysfunctional as english can be, I'll never give up tenses.

Comments