Aftermath, No. 4

January 2, 2039
People are more or less convinced that the world will change; it's a new year after all. I don't know if anything different than what always happens will happen this year. Someone will be fighting someone else. Someone will be stockpiling nuclear weapons (We're closing on the centennial anniversary of the atomic bomb, you'd think we'd have learned by now). And somewhere lots and lots of people who don't deserve to die, will.
Like I said, business as usual.
I'm glad I came to Europe last year. I still haven't found a place to sleep, but at least I'm out of the American Confederation. Based on the news, there's about to be a third revolution. I'd rather not have any part of it. Russia is still busy securing assets and allies in Africa; nobody really knows why. Everyone thought that Africa would be an emerging market, and for a short time it was, but then plagues sprung up in the southern part of the continent, and flooding ravaged farmland in the north. When I was fourteen, everything seemed like it was looking up. The higher we are, the harder we fall I suppose.
When I stepped into my apartment, it was silent. My roommate was sitting on the couch and staring at a blank screen. For a moment, I thought he was asleep, or possibly dead.
"Mumbai is gone."
"What do you mean gone?"
My roommate just looked at me. "Gone." He said again.

Comments